British Empire Title

The Westcountry Walker: Hiking Through History

Sowton: A Village Holding Its Ground Against the Modern World


Sowton Village Formerly Clyst Fomiton

My son was off for a job interview in Exeter, so after dropping him off we drove to nearby Sowton to explore the church and see if we could catch a glimpse of the old Bishop of Exeter’s Palace and to once again follow in the footsteps of the Prayerbook Rebels as we followed a part of the route of the King’s Army to do battle with them at Clyst St. Mary in 1549.

Sowton is a tiny village that is just about holding the developers at bay, but it is sorely surrounded with major roads on three sides, a railway line nearby and Exeter International Airport just a few kilometres away. There is a constant drone of traffic and plenty of planes taking off and landing and yet that still doesn’t detract from what is almost a picture postcard hamlet. I think Sowton is helped by the fact that there is no through traffic route to anywhere. It is effectively a cul-de-sac amidst traffic hurtling all around it just a hop, skip and a jump away from Exeter City.

St Michael and All Angels’ Church

St Michael and All Angels’ church is a rare treasure indeed. There has been a church on this site since the 13th century but it has had two major renovations one of them in the Tudor period which saw the addition of a northern arcade. This was the heyday of the wool industry when parishes wanted to show off their new wealth by investing and enlarging their churches. We can tell where the Tudor extension was added thanks to some beautiful pillar decorations showing the Tudor Rose and one showing the symbol of the House of Aragon - the pomegranate. This almost certainly was added to commemorate the marriage of Catherine of Aragon to either Prince Arthur in 1501 or more likely still to his Brother King Henry VIII in 1509. Of course it was this act of marrying his brother’s wife that provided Henry with his excuse to try and have the marriage annulled, although the Aragons had powerful friends in the Papacy who frustrated Henry and set off the English Reformation which itself would transform the shape of our churches so distinctively over the following century or so.

In a funny way, the second major renovation of this church was part of a kind of counter‑revolution against the Anglican Church in the 1830s and 1840s. The inside of the church was completely redesigned in 1845 at the expense of John Garratt who lived at nearby Bishop’s Court (built on the site of the old Bishop of Exeter’s Palace). John Garratt had made his fortune as a tea importer at a time when tea combined with sugar fuelled the Industrial Revolution. Soon it became a national drink that rich and poor alike regarded as a daily luxury. With his wealth he became Lord Mayor of London. He had bought Bishop’s Court in 1830 not long before his son John Garratt Junior went to study at Oxford. Now this timing was significant because whilst at Oxford University John Garratt Junior came under the sway of the Tractarian Movement which later became better known as the Oxford movement or the Anglo-Catholics. Influential people like John Henry Newman, John Keble and Edward Pusey were all distraught that a new Anglican Diocese had been established in Jerusalem as fallout from the war between the Ottoman Empire and Muhammad Ali of Egypt. They wrote tracts in the newspaper that stated that the Anglican Church had no right to create new bishoprics in an area already served by Christian churches. Soon they were trying to reconcile Anglican and Catholic doctrine. It is tempting to see these Tractarians as an elite project especially when we see their renovated churches which beautified them in a way that had not been seen since before Henry VIII’s Reformation. However, the Tractarians were every bit as evangelistic as any Christian sect and often invested in churches in very poor areas or isolated parishes. In the case of Sowton, the church was in a serious state of disrepair when the Garratts became involved. The father provided the money and the son provided the ecclesiastical underpinning to redesign it. Hence St Michael and All Angels became a showcase of Tractarian design and decoration as the interior was transformed.

John Hayward

The renovator responsible for this transformation was the renowned Devon architect John Hayward who also designed the Royal Albert Memorial Museum in Exeter. His uncle Charles Barry had recently worked with Pugin to restore the Houses of Parliament after the fire in there in 1834 and provided plenty of advice and contacts to his nephew. For example the magnificent wine‑glass pulpit in the church was carved by one of the Westminster Stone carvers himself - John Thomas. What strikes you is the colour especially in the chancel, with stencilled wall decorations, painted roof members, decorative tiles on the floor and very ornate quotes from the Bible on the wall. There is also a significant amount of coloured light from the various stained glass windows around the building. Many of these Tractarian churches were later restored to more plain Anglican styles especially after Cardinal Newman went the whole hog and joined the Catholic Church so it is unusual to find a church which fully retains this early Tractarian character. There are a few dedications to the Garratt family which indicate their involvement in the church.

Major Victor Walrond

Major Victor Walrond was the nephew of the influential Conservative politician Lord Walrond of Bradfield House near Cullompton. His father Arthur Melville Hood Walrond was also born at Bradfield House but his mother was from the Coleridge family from Ottery St. Mary (which we visited just last week). The memorial to Major Victor Walrond shows that he was in the Royal Artillery from the very start of the war including the very first action for the British Army with the Retreat from Mons. By coincidence I know that my Great Grandfather was also in the Royal Artillery at the Retreat from Mons and subsequent battles. May their paths have crossed? It is certainly not impossible. The parents must have hoped that their son was living a charmed life as he went on to survive major campaign after major campaign - the Marne, 1st and 2nd Ypres, Neuve Chappelle, Loos, Vimy, Somme, Thipeval, Ancre, Vimy Ridge only to fall at Arras in 1917. Arras was part of the French General Nivelle’s campaign to go back on the offensive but it proved a disastrous campaign for the French in particular and would lead to mass mutinies in the French Army. The British fared better but took higher daily casualties here than they had at the Somme. April 1917 was something of a nadir for the Allied war effort as the Germans retreated behind their Hindenberg Line. It was at least offset with the good news that America had joined the war. Although this must have been cold comfort for the Walrond family.

By coincidence there is another soldier commemorated in this church who died just two days after Major Walrond in the exact same Battle of Arras. Both hailing from local families there is a very good chance that the two families knew each other and both would have received the same devastating news at virtually the same time. Lieutenant Thomas Marwood Hext of the King's Royal Rifle Corps was the son of Lieutenant Colonel Francis Marwood Hext of the Royal Irish Fusiliers. Unlike Major Walrond, Lieutenant Hext had only been sent to the front line for the first time in January 1917. Within 3 months he would be killed outside Oppy. Sadly they never located his body. He is now commemorated on the Arras memorial.

There is the general war memorial but it was sadly difficult to make out the names on the main World War One memorial as it was definitely in need of a good polish. Worse yet, it seemed to have damaged the memorial with 5 extra names added below it on the centenary of the war. Intriguingly there is actually a memorial at the crossroads in the memorial but to all those who served and not just those who died in the war. I really appreciate when a community goes to such lengths to remember all of those willing to make the sacrifice and not just those who did make the ultimate sacrifice.

Back in the church, the bench ends are quite fascinating and include everyday tools of trade for carpenters, masons, etc. Again it is nice when a church remembers all of its community and not just the elite.

Reverend George Moore

There are some surprising religious personnel commemorated in the church. The Moore family are very heavily represented mainly as they provided two generations of rectors at this church from 1777 until 1821 between the pair of them. The senior Reverend George Moore went on to be Archdeacon of all of Cornwall in the era when Cornwall was still part of the Bishopric of Exeter. The Bishopric of Truro was not created until 1877 and so previous to this the Archdeacon of Cornwall would have been the most senior Anglican cleric for Cornwall. There is a rather beautiful memorial to Charlotte Moore - or rather to two Charlotte Moores and confusingly they are both daughters of George Moores but not the same George Moore! They were not very imaginative with their names it has to be said! Both Charlottes are buried outside in a line of three substantial Moore vaults.

George Carnac Barnes

Another local family commemorated are the Barnes family, this time with a stained glass window and two memorials beneath. The Barnes family had strong links to Exeter Cathedral and more intriguingly to India. The George Barnes mentioned as the Archdeacon of Barnstaple had also been the very first Archdeacon of Bombay. This Indian connection carried on with two of his sons who are both also named on the memorials one is to James Ralph Barnes who the plaque informs us ‘deceased in India 4th Oct 1854’ and his brother George Carnac Barnes. Now the Barnes family were surprisingly important and influential in India with Lord Canning appointing George Carnac Barnes as the Foreign Secretary for the newly created Raj in the aftermath of the Indian Mutiny. Indeed it was George Carnac Barnes’ role in the Mutiny that caught the attention of Lord Canning. He had been the Commissioner of the Cis-Sutlej States which had only recently been incorporated into British India after the first Anglo-Sikh War in 1849. Hence when the Mutiny broke out just to the South of the Punjab, there was consternation that these recently annexed areas might join in with the Mutiny and overthrow British control of India for good. George Carnac Barnes was instrumental in not only keeping this largely Sikh area from throwing their lot in with the rebels but convincing the leaders that they should support the British authorities and provide troops to secure the road to Delhi and indeed to help relieve the besieged British garrison there. It is not an understatement to say that these loyal native troops from the hills above the Delhi plain were critical in allowing the British to survive and ultimately defeat the Mutiny. Sadly for George Carnac Barnes, he also ‘deceased in India’ through dysentery in 1861. One of his sons, George Stapylton Barnes, continued to work in India and another son, Arthur Stapylton Barnes was one of those Anglo-Catholics who would have been very much at home in the surroundings of St Michael and All Angels’ church. He though converted fully to Roman Catholicism in the 1890s and went on to become the Roman Chaplain at Oxford University from 1918 to 1926 where he was affectionately known as ‘Mugger’. Now it just so happened that at the same time a young Catholic student by the name of Evelyn Waugh was studying there. It was widely understood that ‘Mugger’ provided the inspiration for the character of Monsignor Bell in Evelyn Waugh’s classic Brideshead Revisited book published in 1945. I cannot think of a more appropriate connection as that between this beautiful Tractarian church and possibly the most influential literary critique of the vanishing world of our Anglo-Catholic aristocracy.

And if we want to remember that this church originated as a Catholic Church we can step outside and gaze at the grotesque carvings surrounding the church. These pre-Reformation faces can really transform us back in time as we imagine the people they are based upon and can see the period clothing and headdress that they wear. It is even believed that at least one of the grotesques on the rear of the church is a carving of one of the medieval stonemasons themselves. It is quite rare to see the faces of the lower classes from this period in time but as we have seen from this church it sought to represent all of its local community from the workers to the local gentry.

Bishop’s Court

After visiting the local war memorial we turned south to follow Bishop’s Court Lane which once upon a time was the entranceway to the Bishop’s Palace and latterly to the renovated mansion on its site Bishop’s Court You get a glimpse of the old grandeur of this grand entrance with the lodge at its start and some incongruous 1834 decorated iron railings across a leat that was built to service the mill down towards Clyst St. Mary - where the other set went to is a mystery. The Garratt family would have used their wealth from tea to pay for this suitably impressive drive to their mansion. You can catch a glimpse of the back of Bishop’s Court although the trees do obscure much. Sadly it is not open to the public which is a shame as it has a fascinating history.

Admiral Thomas Graves

The Bishop of Exeter wanted somewhere close to the Cathedral but far enough away to avoid the dirt, grime and noise of an Exeter confined by its city walls. In the 13th Century they built a palace here which remained as a Bishop’s Palace until the Reformation of Henry VIII when lands like these were prime for selling off to favourites and to provide an income for a King ambitious to expand the state’s power. Before the Garratts moved in one notable occupant of the house was Admiral Thomas Graves who fought in the Seven Years War and the American War of Independence. Sadly an outnumbered Thomas Graves was defeated by the French Admiral Comte de Grasse at the Battle of the Chesapeake Bay in 1781. This defeat directly led to the surrender of Lord Cornwallis at Yorktown and signalled the effective end of the war. The Comte de Grasse did not have long to savour his victory though as he sailed on to try and capture Jamaica and was defeated by Admiral Rodney at the Battle of the Saintes and taken as a prisoner of war. Thomas Graves was given the honour of escorting the Comte de Grasse’s flagship back to Britain as a prize although an unexpected Hurricane would see the French battle scarred ship lost at sea. Thomas Graves survived the ordeal and he went on to be promoted to full Admiral and given an Irish peerage. He also had been the Governor of Newfoundland and became Commander in Chief of my home town of Plymouth as the country prepared for war with France.

When war broke out with France he was very active in the early years and indeed he was actually Second in Command to Admiral Lord Howe at the ‘Glorious First of June’ which was the first big naval victory over the Revolutionary French. Unfortunately he was seriously wounded in that action which compelled him to retire from active service. He saw out his last years at Bishop’s Court and started to seriously update the gardens and house before he died at the age of 76 in 1802.

It was the wealth of the Garratt family that saw the traditional Bishop’s Court converted into a Gothic Mansion. The Victorians came to love Gothic Revival architecture - just look at the Houses of Parliament rebuilt in the 1830s and 40s. It even has its own ornate chapel which may surprise us considering how much they spent renovating St Michael and All Angels’ church.

We joined Bishop’s Court Lane and followed the route of Lord Russell’s Army as it sought to dislodge the prayer book rebels at the bridge at Clyst St. Mary after being forced to retreat from Fenny Bridges. I have written about this battle in more detail in the article on Clyst St. Mary but I think it is worth reminding us that there has possibly never been a more colourful army in our history than the one that marched down this road in 1549. Unsure whether the local militia would remain loyal to King Edward VI or go over to the Prayer book rebels, the Duke of Somerset had arranged for foreign mercenaries to provide the bulk of the military under Lord Russell’s command. These included Arquebusiers from Genoa in Italy, German Landsknechts, Burgundian heavy cavalry and most intriguingly of all Albanian light horsemen. These would be joined by Welsh archers to try and compensate for the prevalence of well trained Cornish archers on the side of the rebels. What a sight it must have been to see such exotic soldiers in their incredibly exuberant uniforms march down this road nearly half a millennium ago. We turned off at the mill to return back to Sowton which is actually what Lord Russell ultimately had to do too after his initial assault was ambushed and pushed back. His plan B was to send some of his exotic troops to cross the River Clyst further up and attack the Westcountry defenders on the bridge from behind.

It was interesting that we were only at Clyst St. Mary a few weeks ago and the area around the River Clyst was totally flooded with ducks, swans and seabirds living the life of Riley on a huge if temporary lake. Now it is bone dry and lush grass stands where the water was. It was definitely still damp underfoot though and still seriously boggy as we had to traverse some of the gates on our route back to Sowton. We heard the constant buzz of traffic and saw various planes take off and land and yet you could still feel transported back in time as we returned to the quaint village of Sowton. It had only been a short walk as we had to return to Exeter to pick up my son from his interview. However even this short walk was crammed full of fascinating history and best of all - my son got the job! Definitely not a wasted trip in any shape or form.

Location of Walk

Click for OS Map of Area

Links

Sowton Village – Official Site
Local information, history and community resources for Sowton

History & Design of St Michael and All Angels’ Church
Detailed account of the church’s architecture and Tractarian restoration

Historic England – St Michael and All Angels (Grade I)
Official listing entry for Sowton’s parish church

Historic England – Bishop’s Court (Grade II*)
Listing entry for the former Bishop of Exeter’s Palace and later Garratt residence

Heritage Gateway – Sowton Church Record
Archaeological and architectural summary of St Michael and All Angels

Devon Perspectives – Prayer Book Rebellion
Background to the 1549 conflict and the battles around the River Clyst

Suggested Reading

Hoskins, W. G. – Devon
The classic county history, with valuable context for Sowton and East Devon

Gray, Todd – Exeter’s Historic Buildings
A guide to the city’s architectural heritage, including its rural fringe parishes

Hill, Rosemary – God’s Architect: Pugin and the Building of Romantic Britain
Essential background to the Gothic Revival that shaped Sowton’s 1845 restoration

Yates, Nigel – Anglican Ritualism in Victorian Britain
A clear introduction to the Tractarian and Anglo‑Catholic movements that inspired Sowton’s redesign

Reed, John Shelton – Glorious Battle: The Cultural Politics of Victorian Church Architecture
A study of the ideological battles behind 19th‑century church restorations like Sowton’s

Cornwall, Julian – Revolt of the Peasantry, 1549
A concise and authoritative account of the Prayer Book Rebellion and the battles along the Clyst

Fletcher, Anthony – Tudor Rebellions
A broader study of mid‑Tudor unrest, placing the 1549 Devon rising in national context

Jenkins, Simon – England’s Thousand Best Churches
A national survey that helps situate Sowton’s unusual Tractarian interior in a wider context

Girouard, Mark – The Victorian Country House
A study of the architectural world that produced the Garratts’ Gothic Bishop’s Court

More Walks

Walks by the Westcountry Walker

St Michael and All Angels’ Church, Sowton, viewed from the south-east St Michael and All Angels’ Church, Sowton, viewed from the north-west The old Sowton village school opposite St Michael and All Angels’ Church The Tractarian-inspired chancel of St Michael and All Angels’ Church
St Michael and All Angels’ Church seen from the south-east, showing the tower, nave and churchyard — a reminder of how this small parish has retained its rural character despite the encircling modern development. The church from the north-west, with the tower and surrounding gravestones illustrating the long continuity of worship on this site since the 13th century. The old village school opposite the church — a reminder of Sowton’s former life as a self-contained rural community before the expansion of Exeter’s outskirts. The richly decorated Tractarian chancel created during the 1845 restoration, with its painted roof, stencilled walls and coloured light characteristic of early Anglo‑Catholic design.
Stained glass window dedicated to the Garratt family Dedication plaque to John Garratt of Bishop’s Court One of the 1845 stained glass windows Stencilled wall decoration and sedilia seats in the chancel
A stained glass window dedicated to the Garratt family, whose funding and Tractarian convictions shaped the 1845 rebuilding. The figures of St John, St Peter and Christ reflect the High‑Church emphasis on apostolic authority and pastoral care. The memorial to John Garratt of Bishop’s Court, recording his role in rebuilding the church in 1845. His patronage, combined with his son’s Tractarian influence, produced one of Devon’s most complete early‑ecclesiological interiors. One of the stained glass windows installed during the 1844–45 restoration. Much of the glass is by Thomas Willement, whose work forms an integral part of the church’s unified Tractarian design. The stencilled wall decoration and the pair of sedilia in the sanctuary — characteristic features of the 1845 Tractarian scheme, with patterned walls, painted roofs and liturgical seating integrated into the overall design.
The decorated chancel with tiled floor and Tractarian colour scheme Memorial to George Carnac Barnes Memorials to George Barnes and James Ralph Barnes Painted wagon roofs and bosses above the chancel
The chancel, rebuilt in 1844–45, showing the full Tractarian decorative scheme: patterned tiles, painted walls, illuminated commandment panels and Willement glass, all forming a unified ecclesiological interior specified by John Garratt junior. The memorial to George Carnac Barnes C.B., whose role in securing Sikh support during the 1857 Indian Mutiny made him a significant figure in the survival of British authority in the Punjab. The memorials to Archdeacon George Barnes, Rector of Sowton until 1824, and to his son James Ralph Barnes, who died in India in 1854. Their inscriptions sit beneath a stained glass window dedicated to them The painted wagon roofs and carved bosses above the chancel — part of Hayward’s 1845 restoration. The colour, patterning and heraldic devices are characteristic of early Tractarian interiors, where structure and decoration were treated as a single liturgical scheme.
View from the chancel looking back towards the nave Rupert standing in the wine-glass pulpit carved by John Thomas View from the pulpit towards the nave View from the pulpit towards the chancel
A view from the chancel looking back towards the nave, showing the wagon roofs, the 1845 seating arrangement and the overall spatial layout retained from Hayward’s restoration. Rupert in the wine‑glass pulpit, carved in Caen stone by John Thomas, the same sculptor responsible for figure carving at the Houses of Parliament. The pulpit’s height and polygonal form are typical of early ecclesiological design. A view from the pulpit towards the nave, showing the pews, the tiled central aisle and the contrast between the well‑lit nave and the more enclosed, coloured sanctuary beyond. A view from the pulpit towards the chancel, highlighting the painted roof, stencilled walls, Willement glass and the unified Tractarian decorative scheme specified during the 1844–45 rebuilding.
Memorial to Edmund Granger of Rougemont and his wife Mary Memorial to Lieutenant Colonel Lawrence Challoner Garratt Plaque listing the five additional names added to the war memorial in 2016 The main First World War memorial in Sowton Church
The memorial to Edmund Granger of Rougemont House in Exeter, who died in 1840, and to his wife Mary who died in 1846. Rougemont House was owned and run by the Royal Albert Memorial Museum for many years. The plaque commemorating Lieutenant Colonel Lawrence Challoner Garratt, Rector’s Warden from 1920 to 1946, in whose memory the church’s electric lighting was installed in 1951. This prosaic dedication fails to mention a remarkable military career. The plaque recording the five additional names added to the parish war memorial in 2016 after further research — men from Sowton who served in various Devon and national regiments. The main First World War memorial listing the parish dead of 1914–1918, including men of the Devonshire Regiment, Royal Engineers, Royal Field Artillery and other units.
Memorial to Charlotte Moore in Sowton Church Stained glass window of St Michael flanked by St Raphael and St Gabriel View down the main aisle towards the chancel Tudor Rose carving on a column capital from the early Tudor north aisle
The memorial to Charlotte Moore, daughter of Archdeacon George Moore and sister of the later Rector of Sowton. Both women are buried in the Moore family vault in the churchyard. The west window depicting St Michael, the patron saint of the church, flanked by St Raphael and St Gabriel. The inscriptions reflect themes of judgement and salvation associated with Michaelmas. A view down the main aisle towards the chancel, showing the 1845 seating, the tiled floor and the contrast between the lighter nave and the more enclosed, coloured sanctuary beyond. A Tudor Rose carved on one of the arcade capitals, added when the north aisle was built in the early Tudor period. It commemorates the marriage of Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon.
Pomegranate carving symbolising the House of Aragon Memorial to Lieutenant Thomas Marwood Hext of the King's Royal Rifle Corps The font with its ornate Gothic-style wooden cover The Caen stone pulpit carved by John Thomas
The pomegranate carving on one of the arcade capitals — the emblem of the House of Aragon — added when the north aisle was built in the early Tudor period, probably commemorating the marriage of Catherine of Aragon and Henry VIII. The memorial to Lieutenant Thomas Marwood Hext of the King’s Royal Rifle Corps, killed near Oppy in April 1917 at the age of nineteen, one of several First World War losses commemorated in the church. The stone font with its tall Gothic wooden cover, designed by Hayward and carved with open‑work tracery. The font is in the Devon Perpendicular style and forms part of the unified 1845 Tractarian interior. The Caen stone pulpit, a high polygonal wine‑glass design carved by John Thomas, who also worked on the Houses of Parliament. The figures of the four evangelists and St Paul appear in canopied niches.
Memorial to Major Victor Walrond and members of the Walrond family Eagle lectern with carved lions at the base Bench end carved with stonemason’s chisels Bench end carved with spear and ladder symbols
The memorial to Major Victor Walrond, killed at Arras in 1917, together with inscriptions to members of his family. His long list of Western Front battles is recorded on the tablet. The carved eagle lectern standing on a globe and supported by lions — a typical High‑Church feature retained from the 1845 restoration. A bench end carved with stonemason’s chisels, one of several pew ends depicting the tools of local trades as part of the 1845 ecclesiological scheme. A bench end showing the spear and ladder — symbols of the Passion — carved in Gothic tracery and forming part of the church’s extensive set of devotional bench ends.
Bench end carved with a carpenter’s pincer Grotesque carving of a woman on the south side of the church Stone head carving on the north wall of the church Another stone head carving on the north wall of the church
A bench end carved with a carpenter’s pincer — one of several pew ends depicting the tools of local trades, part of the 1845 ecclesiological emphasis on representing the whole parish community. A grotesque carving of a woman on the south side of the church, one of the surviving pre‑Reformation exterior figures that preserve traces of medieval craftsmanship. A weathered stone head on the north wall, possibly representing one of the medieval stonemasons involved in an earlier phase of the church’s construction. Another carved head on the north wall, similarly eroded, and likely part of the same medieval series of external faces.
Grave of a soldier who died in the Second World War Vault of Charlotte Moore beside her father and brother Grotesque carving of a woman with period headdress on the south side Rupert waiting at the church gate
The grave of Sergeant Maurice Frederick Causley of the Devonshire Regiment, who died in 1941 aged twenty‑two — one of the few Second World War burials in the churchyard. The chest tomb of Charlotte Moore, buried in the family vault alongside her father, Archdeacon George Moore, and her brother, the later Rector of Sowton. A grotesque carving of a woman wearing a period headdress on the south side of the church — one of several surviving medieval exterior figures. Rupert waiting at the church gate, beside the lychgate inscription and the approach to the churchyard.
Trees in bloom on the walk towards the crossroads Court Lodge, the 19th-century lodge to Bishop’s Court Sowton War Memorial listing all who served in the Great War Aircraft taking off near Exeter Airport
Trees in bloom on the approach to the crossroads — part of the walk from the church towards the centre of the old village. Court Lodge, formerly the Back Lodge to Bishop’s Court, a 19th‑century Grade II listed building marking one of the historic entrances to the estate. The Sowton War Memorial listing all parishioners who served in the Great War — a comprehensive roll of service rather than a roll of honour. A plane taking off from nearby Exeter Airport, visible above the village — a reminder of the modern landscape surrounding historic Sowton.
Cast iron railings from about 1834, Grade II listed Rupert on Bishop’s Court Drive Rupert on the stone bridge along Bishop’s Court Drive Rear view of Bishop’s Court
The cast iron railings made around 1834, now Grade II listed. Only one section survives, showing the decorative work typical of the Bishop’s Court estate boundary. Rupert on Bishop’s Court Drive, the historic approach to the former episcopal residence. Rupert on one of the older stone bridges along the drive, part of the landscaped grounds associated with Bishop’s Court. The rear elevation of Bishop’s Court, showing the Gothic architecture protruding from behind the trees.
Bishop’s Court Lane, used by Lord Russell’s army in 1549 Dried floodplain of the River Clyst near the 1549 battlefield Path leading back towards Sowton village Reeds growing along the River Clyst
Bishop’s Court Lane, the route taken by Lord Russell’s army as it advanced towards the crossing of the Clyst during the 1549 campaign. The dried floodplain of the River Clyst close to the bridge where the fighting of 4 August 1549 took place — just a few weeks ago it was underwater! The path leading back towards Sowton. A view of Reeds along the River Clyst as we cross a bridge back towards Sowton
Muddy section of the trail Plane taking off as we return to Sowton Sowton Barton and the church tower Road back into Sowton village
A reminder of how muddy the trail could still be. Yet another plane taking off as we head back towards Sowton. Sowton Barton with the church tower rising behind it. The road leading back into Sowton.

Walks by the Westcountry Walker
Armed Forces | Art and Culture | Articles | Biographies | Colonies | Discussion | Glossary | Hiking | Home | Library | Links | Map Room | Sources and Media | Science and Technology | Search | Student Zone | Timelines | TV and Film | Wargames
Donate by Stephen Luscombe