John Hayward (1807–1891) was the leading Gothic Revival architect of the West Country and the dominant architectural figure in nineteenth‑century Exeter. Born in London and trained under his uncle Sir Charles Barry, he absorbed the disciplined Gothic vocabulary that shaped the rebuilding of the Palace of Westminster after the fire of 1834. Through Barry he gained access to the network of craftsmen assembled for that project—stone‑carvers, metalworkers, stained‑glass makers and tile manufacturers—whose skills he later drew upon in Devon. Hayward established his practice in Cathedral Yard, Exeter, in 1834, and from that point became the natural choice for major ecclesiastical and civic commissions across the region.
His influence was strengthened by his position as architect to the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society, which meant that new church designs across the diocese passed under his scrutiny. He was closely aligned with the Ecclesiological Society and shared its insistence on archaeological accuracy, correct liturgical planning and the revival of medieval forms. His reputation as “the senior architect in the west of England” rested not only on the buildings he designed but on the standards he imposed on others. By the 1850s his architectural office in Cathedral Yard had become the centre of Gothic Revival practice in the West Country.
Hayward’s work in Exeter is extensive. He designed the Royal Albert Memorial Museum, whose polychromatic Gothic façade remains one of the city’s most recognisable landmarks. He was responsible for the Exeter Diocesan Training College, for work at HM Prison Exeter, and for a range of civic and commercial buildings that helped define the Victorian city. His architectural drawings, including those for the 1845 rebuilding of Sowton church, survive in local collections and are reproduced at this link, showing the precision and clarity of his draughtsmanship.
It was in church architecture, however, that Hayward made his most lasting contribution. He designed, rebuilt or restored at least forty churches in the Exeter Diocese, ranging from small rural buildings to major parish reconstructions. His work is marked by a disciplined Gothic vocabulary, careful detailing and a strong sense of liturgical hierarchy. He was equally capable of sensitive restoration, as at St Blaise, Haccombe, and of complete rebuilding, as at All Saints, Okehampton, after the fire of 1842. His 1864 paper on the churches of Jersey shows the breadth of his architectural interests and his commitment to the study of medieval forms.
Locally, his most complete surviving work is St Michael and All Angels at Sowton, rebuilt in 1844–45. Here he worked closely with the Garratt family of Bishop’s Court, who were prominent supporters of the High Church revival. The resulting building is one of the most intact Tractarian interiors in Devon, with its wagon roofs, painted sanctuary, Willement glass, Caen‑stone pulpit carved by John Thomas and a carefully articulated chancel emphasising the sacramental focus of worship. Hayward’s ability to integrate medieval survivals—such as the sixteenth‑century Beer stone arcade—with new Gothic work is characteristic of his approach.
His 1845 seating plan for the church, reproduced in the link above, reveals the social structure of the parish with unusual clarity. Of the 186 seats provided, more than half were reserved for the Garratt family and their staff, all placed at the front of the church, leaving fewer than ninety free seats for the rest of the parishioners. The plan is a rare survival and an important document of nineteenth‑century ecclesiastical patronage.
Hayward’s architectural legacy is visible throughout Devon. His churches are scattered across the diocese, each bearing the marks of his disciplined Gothic style and his commitment to liturgical order. His civic buildings in Exeter remain among the city’s most distinctive Victorian structures. By the time of his death in 1891 he had shaped the architectural character of the region for half a century, leaving a body of work that continues to define the appearance of churches and public buildings across the West Country.