St Mary's Church is fortunate indeed to have bequeathed to it a crucifix that had belonged to the church's very first vicar Father Leonard T. Strong. On the back of the crucifix is an inscription that it was used in the First World War to administer the last rights to over 700 soldiers who sadly sacrificed their lives on behalf of their country. He had been a Chaplain fourth class which equates to a Captain in rank. He served in Salonika in 1918 where presumably he was attached to the 10th Devons serving there. This crucifix was later embedded in the larger wooden cross and forms the centrepiece of St Mary's Remembrance display.