At the turn of the twentieth century, Laira was still a place of hedgerows and open fields, lying just beyond the borough limits of Plymouth. It was a landscape poised on the edge of transformation. The arrival of the Great Western Railway works in 1901 marked the beginning of a new chapter, one that would reshape the district from rural fringe into a bustling suburb.
Laira Green School, built in the 1890s, stood as one of the first signs of permanence in what was otherwise countryside. Nearby, Federation Road had only recently been completed in 1902, its neat terraces constructed by the Plymouth Cooperative Society to provide affordable housing for local workers. These developments hinted at the future, but behind them stretched nothing but farmland and hedgerows, a reminder of how close the area still was to its rural past.
The building of St Mary’s Church was a direct response to the changes sweeping through Laira. Though not yet part of Plymouth proper, the district was expected to grow rapidly as the three towns—Plymouth, Devonport, and Stonehouse—moved toward amalgamation. A new population would need a place for worship, christenings, marriages, and funerals. Interestingly, there was never a plan for a graveyard at St Mary’s, as Plymouth had already opened Efford Cemetery at the top of the hill in 1907, a modern municipal burial ground designed to serve the expanding city.
On the map of Laira Green from this period, the site of the church’s foundation ceremony can be pinpointed precisely: where the double “ee” of “Laira Green” is labelled. In September 1911, Mrs Lucy Clark of Efford Manor laid the foundation stone, with the Bishop of Exeter presiding. At that moment, the surrounding fields were still untouched, but the vision was clear—Laira was to become a community in its own right. The construction of St Mary’s would take three years, opening in June 1914, just days after the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, an event that would cast a long shadow over Europe and halt many local ambitions.
The Great Western Railway works were the catalyst for Laira’s expansion. The depot and workshops brought employment, drawing families into the area and accelerating the need for housing, schools, and churches. What had been “the Wilds of Efford” only a generation earlier was now being carved into streets, terraces, and civic institutions. The railway not only connected Plymouth to the wider world but also anchored new communities along its tracks.
Today, little remains of the rural Laira of 1900. The fields and hedgerows have long since given way to housing estates, roads, and modern infrastructure. Yet the story of its expansion—marked by the building of Federation Road, the founding of Laira Green School, and the laying of St Mary’s foundation stone—captures a moment of transition. It was a time when the rhythms of industry and the needs of a growing population reshaped the landscape, turning a quiet fringe into a vital part of Plymouth’s urban fabric.