Laira Avenue, with St Mary’s Church rising in the background, reflects the transformation of this once-rural district into a thriving suburb in the years before the Second World War. At the turn of the twentieth century, Laira was still outside the borough limits of Plymouth, characterised by farmland, hedgerows, and open countryside. The arrival of the Great Western Railway depot in 1901 changed everything, bringing employment and drawing families into the area in need of homes, schools, and places of worship.
The first signs of permanence came with Laira Green School in the 1890s, followed by Federation Road in 1902, built by the Plymouth Cooperative Society to provide affordable housing for railway workers. These early developments hinted at the future, but behind them stretched fields that would soon be carved into streets and terraces as the population grew.
The building of St Mary’s Church in 1911 was a symbolic step in this transformation. Funded in part by Lucy Clark of Efford Manor and designed by the Plymouth architect T. R. Kitsell, the church was consecrated in July 1914, just days after the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand. The outbreak of war meant that the west end was never completed as planned, but the church stood as a beacon for the new community, offering baptisms, marriages, and services to families who had only recently arrived in Laira.
After the First World War, development accelerated. The death of Lucy Clark in 1916 allowed much of the land around St Mary’s to be sold for housing. In the 1920s, new streets spread across what had once been farmland, part of the national drive to provide “homes fit for heroes” for returning servicemen. Planning restrictions were relaxed, and both private and council housing appeared, creating a dense but affordable suburb. Within a generation, Laira had grown enough to be granted its own parish in 1931, with St Mary’s at its centre.
By the 1930s, Laira Avenue and its surrounding streets had taken on the familiar look of a suburban community. Photographs from the period show churchwardens, choirs, and parish activities, evidence of a lively local life. The railway depot continued to anchor employment, while the houses along the avenue provided stability for families with new opportunities for employment. The church, school, and housing together formed the backbone of a neighbourhood that had grown from fields into a thriving suburb in less than forty years.
On the eve of the Second World War, Laira stood as a testament to Plymouth’s expansion: a place shaped by industry, philanthropy, and faith, where the new avenues and terraces looked confidently toward the future, even as storm clouds gathered once again over Europe.