Efford Manor, once known as Eppeford or Elforde, stood proudly on high ground above the Laira estuary, commanding sweeping views across Dartmoor and the South Hams. Though the house itself has long since vanished beneath the post-war sprawl of Plymouth’s eastern suburbs, its legacy—particularly during the Clarke family’s tenure—remains deeply woven into the area’s social and ecclesiastical fabric.
In 1784, the ancient manor passed from the Trelawny family into the hands of William Clarke of Plymouth. The Clarkes, a prosperous local family, would hold Efford through the 19th century, their name gradually evolving in records to “Clark.” By 1822, Irwin Clarke was listed as the owner, with the manor house of Great Efford let to a farmer and the family residing occasionally in an adjoining cottage. Though the estate’s grandeur had waned, its strategic location and pastoral charm endured.
It was in the early 20th century that Efford Manor re-emerged as a place of influence, thanks to Lucy Clark, widow of Henry Clark—a barrister, Justice of the Peace, and former Liberal Unionist. Following her husband’s death in 1900, Lucy became a figure of quiet determination and High Anglican conviction. As Laira’s population swelled with the arrival of the Great Western Railway works in 1901, she recognised the need for a new place of worship.
In 1911, she donated land and funds for the construction of St Mary’s Church, just a short walk from the manor grounds. She also influenced its architectural style, insisting on an Anglo-Catholic Gothic design. The architect, Mr Kitsell—himself a fellow parishioner from Eggbuckland—produced a design so refined it was exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1910. The church’s foundation stone was laid by Lucy herself, with the Bishop of Exeter, Archibald Robertson, presiding.
St Mary’s Church officially opened in late June 1914, just four days after the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand. The timing was ominous. Within weeks, Europe was on the brink of war, and the prosaic concerns of parish architecture gave way to national mobilisation. The church was never completed as originally conceived—the grand entrance remained unbuilt, a silent casualty of global conflict. Yet the building stood, and still stands, as a testament to Lucy Clark’s vision and the final flourish of Efford Manor’s influence.
The Clarks of Efford were not merely benefactors but participants in the shaping of modern Britain. Lucy and Henry’s second son, Paul Treby Clark, rose to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the 43rd Oxfordshire Light Infantry. The family had earlier sold land to the War Department for the construction of the Palmerston Forts—Efford Fort, Fort Austin, and Eggbuckland Keep—further entwining their legacy with national defence. The Clarks had four sons who survived—Erving, Paul Treby, Henry, and Arthur John—and two daughters, Ethel Mildred and Lucy Henrietta, who died in childhood. Both Lucy and Henry are commemorated in St Edward’s Church, Eggbuckland, where their names remain etched in stone.
By the mid-20th century, Efford Manor had disappeared from the landscape. The once-rural “Wilds of Efford” gave way to housing estates, and the manor’s high ground was absorbed into the expanding city of Plymouth. Yet traces of its past linger—in the street name “Deer Park Drive,” hinting at a lost parkland; in the Gothic arches of St Mary’s; and in the quiet dignity of a widow who shaped a parish with stone, faith, and foresight.