This pattern remained the badge of the regiment for more than a hundred years, although the title on these two examples is pre‑1887, the year in which the regiment became The King’s Own Scottish Borderers. The badge on the left was worn by other ranks, while the right‑hand example belonged to an officer. The distinction lies chiefly in the fretwork lettering of the officer’s badge and the absence of XXV at the base. The Royal Crest displays a Victorian crown surmounted by a crowned lion. These badges were worn on the diced glengarry, the Kilmarnock cap, and also served as the centrepiece for the helmet plate. The two examples illustrated here (Lot 558) were sold at Noonan’s in December 2013.