In 1881 regimental numbers were officially discontinued so The 25th King’s Own Borderers became The King’s Own Borderers. This waist-belt clasp was adopted from that date, replacing the crowned 25 with the Royal Crest. This badge had been conferred on the regiment in 1805, by King George III. The clasp was worn by officers as part of their non-Scottish uniform. But in 1887 the regiment was titled The King’s Own Scottish Borderers and changed their tunics for doublets, and this clasp was discontinued.