This short-lived badge was worn by officers of the 25th King’s Own Borderers from 1878 when the blue infantry helmet replaced the shako. However, in 1881 the line infantry regiments were reorganised and their number removed. This badge does not include the figure 25 within its design and may have been altered for use after 1881, but it was soon superseded by the more familiar regimental device incorporating the mottoes and Royal Crest. The helmet plate worn by other ranks at this time was the standard wreathed and crowned star, bearing at its centre the castle of Edinburgh surrounded by the regimental title, all executed in brass.