This pattern of coatee was worn from 1829; the Hanoverian crown on the buttons dates it from around that year. The descriptions of the coat in Dress Regulations for both 1834 and 1846 are identical. The coat is scarlet with dark blue facings which are found on the collar and cuffs. The double-breasted front has two rows of gilt buttons, ten in each row, 3 inches apart at the neck and 2.5 inches apart at the waist. The blue cuff has a scarlet slash flap with four gold loops and buttons, and the collar has two large loops and buttons on each side, covering the collar so that the blue cloth can only be seen at the back.
The regulations allow for either gold lace or embroidery to form the button-hole loops. The 25th has distinctive quilted loops formed from plain gold wire embroidery. These loops are also to be found on the false pockets of the back skirts, four on each coat-tail. These ornaments were discontinued around 1850.
The coatee is complete with flank company shoulder wings. Officers of the grenadier and light companies wore these wings, differing only in the badge on the point of the shoulder. A stringed bugle badge on each wing identifies this as the coatee of an officer of the light company of the 25th. The coat tails have embroidered badges at the base, where the white turn-backs meet. Embroidered laurel sprays frame stringed bugles.
The photos are taken by kind permission from Badges and Insignia of The King’s Own Scottish Borderers by Hiram Dunn.