This pattern of bell-topped shako was adopted in 1829, at first with an upright plume but in 1830 the light companies were ordered to have a green ball tuft. This example is dated 1839 because in that year the chin chain replaced the chin scales. Other ranks also had a chin chain but in brass, and lion’s head bosses were fixed to the sides to hold the chain. The cap itself was made of black beaver mounted on felt, 6 inches deep with a sunken leather top 11 inches in diameter. The badge was large and ornate, and the green silk ball was held in a gilt clasp that slotted into the top so that it could easily be removed in wet weather when an oilskin cover was put on.