The King’s Dragoon Guards were sent to India in October 1935, stationed at Trimulgherry in the Deccan. The Standard, dating from 1926, is carried by a mounted Warrant Officer escorted by two sergeants. Up until 1822 Standards had been carried by officers but an Order from Horse Guards dated 30 Nov 1822 commanded that in future they were to be carried by sergeant-majors.
This photo was taken at the last horse-mounted parade, on 23 October 1937, at Secunderabad. They were inspected by Major General Nicholson, commander of the Deccan District. The following month the regiment sailed from Bombay to return to England where they were given training for mechanisation.