H C Selby joined the King’s Dragoon Guards as a 2nd lieutenant in 1932. Captain Selby fought in World War 2 at Tobruk. He was given command of B Squadron which had a strength of 150 men, The squadron fought as infantry holding a section of the line near the Fig Tree. He was awarded the MC for his bravery and leadership during the War. He took over command of the KDG on 27 Sept 1957, and when the amalgamation took place on 1 Jan 1959 he remained in command so that he was the last CO of the King’s Dragoon Guards and the first CO of the amalgamated 1st Queen’s Dragoon Guards. He relinquished command in December 1959. The photo shows him in the 1st QDG polo team at Wolfenbuttel in 1960.