
Romsey raised a Troop of yeomanry cavalry in June 1794 as part of the Gentlemen and Yeomen of the New Forest. They and the Lyndhurst Troop were titled the New Forest Light Dragoons and later the New Forest Rangers commanded by Major William S Rose. In 1803 they were one of eight Troops that formed the South Hampshire Regiment of Yeomanry Cavalry. The regiment had a band but there is no evidence of a drum banner at that stage. However, the South Hants Yeomanry was dissolved in 1828, and then revived in 1830-31. The Romsey Troop was re-raised in 1831, commanded by Captain Stanley and numbering 58 men.
This illustration of the drum banner is a reconstruction from a rough pencil sketch made by L G Farncombe who saw the original banner at Paultons near Romsey in 1937. The central device is a portcullis which is still to be seen on the coat of arms of Romsey. The sketch does not include the usual chains on the portcullis. The drum banner was in possession, at that time, of Major Sloane-Stanley, a descendant of Captain Stanley who raised the Troop in 1831. The banner was made by the ladies of the family. The notes with the sketch simply describe the colours as: ‘Green background with yellow ornaments’. The country house of Paultons was demolished in 1963 and Paulton Park is now a Peppa Pig Theme Park.