British Empire Title

9th Lancers


NCOs Regimental Arm Badge 1905


The 9th Lancers first wore a regimental arm badge for sergeants and above in 1905. It was authorised on 27 Oct 1903, first appearing in the 1904 Clothing Regulations, and manufactured by Bent & Parker, issued in India in November 1905. The design is disappointing compared with the original reversed AR cypher and subsequent Victorian patterns which were so highly regarded that they were retained on lance caps and buttons long after Queen Adelaide had died (1849), and well into the 20th century.

The badge was made of silver, hallmarked Birmingham, either 1904, 1905 or 1908, measuring 44mm high and 50mm wide. Other versions were made, in white metal, some as late as 1946, and in Germany in the 1950s. Although initially intended for senior NCOs above the rank of sergeant, it soon extended to Corporals and Lance-Corporals. A photo taken in South Africa in 1907 shows junior NCOs wearing it on blue serge tunics. It was worn in dress and undress uniforms, above the chevrons for sergeants and corporals, and below the arm badge on the forearm for Warrant Officers. They are not apparent on uniforms during World War One but after 1924 they were revived, although corporals and lance-corporals could only wear them on their blue patrols uniform.


Regimental Details | Badges



Donate by Stephen Luscombe